Business and Management
Submitted By perillaswartz56
CHAPTER TWO PROBLEMS
1. Last year Rattner Robotics had $5 million in operating income (EBIT). The company had net depreciation expense of $1 million and an interest expense of $1 million; its corporate tax rate was 40 percent. The company has $14 million in current assets and $4 million in non-interest-bearing current liabilities; it has $15 million in net plant and equipment. It estimates that it has an after-tax cost of capital of 10 percent. Assume that Rattner’s only non-cash item is depreciation.
a. What was the company’s net income for the year? $2.4 million
b. What was the company’s net cash flow? $3.4 million
c. What was the company’s net operating profit after taxes (NOPAT)? $3.0 million
d. What was the company’s operating cash flow? $4.0 million
e. If operating capital in the previous year was $24 million, what was the company’s free cash flow (FCF) for the year? $2.0 million
f. What was the company’s economic value added? $500,000
2. As an institutional investor paying a marginal tax rate of 46%, your after-tax dividend yield on preferred stock with a 16% before-tax dividend yield would be:
3. A 7% coupon bond issued by the state of New York sells for $1,000 and thus provides a 7% yield to maturity. For an investor in the 40% tax bracket, what coupon rate on a Carter Chemical Company bond that also sells at its $1,000 par value would cause the two bonds to provide the investor with the same after-tax rate of return?
4. A corporation with a marginal tax rate of 46% would receive what AFTER-TAX YIELD on a 12% coupon rate preferred stock bought at par?
5. You have just received financial information for…...